happy gal 88

This blog is about all things that make me happy. Why happy gal? Because I strongly believe that life is short and we must treasure every second of it. Why brood and live life unhappily?! I hope every reader finds some happiness on this blog : ) See my Korean blog - Seoul Far Seoul Good - @ http://www.seoulfarseoulgood.blogspot.com/

Monday, January 02, 2006

Three Cheers for Korean TV Dramas

I’ve just finished watching my 9th Korean TV drama – My Name is Kim Sam Soon – and I must say it was good. So far, the time I’ve spent watching the last three series have not gone to waste. Here’re the reviews:

A. Save the Last Dance for Me (마지막춤은나와함께)
This drama tells a story of a rich man’s son, Kang Hyun-woo, played by Ji Seong or Ji Sung, who lost his memory after an accident. He was saved by a village girl, Ji Eun-soo (played by Eugene or Yoo Jin) and her father. As all drama goes, he falls in love with her but almost lost his life again. This time round, he remembered his previous memory but lost the most recent one he had with the girl he loves. They went through a lot just to be together but…the ending’s not quite what I would have liked. Nonetheless, I found the plot interesting and I could stay with the drama throughout. Ji Sung also acted his part pretty well. And he’s quite cute too.

B. Oh! Feel So Young! (오! 필승 봉순영)
In this drama, Ahn Jae-uk plays Oh Pil-seung, a lazy bum who was supposed to be the illegitimate child of a rich magnate’s son. He grew up in a fish market community in Pusan and was thrust into the world of the rich and powerful when the family ‘claimed him’. He fell in love with Bong Sun-yeong (played by Chae Rim), who is a sales girl in a supermarket owned by Pil-sueng’s rich family. This is really a hilarious TV drama and I laughed so loud in many of the episodes that I was scolded by mom a few times. While the ending could be more conclusive rather than open-ended, I thoroughly enjoyed it – a must-watch for those who love comedy sitcoms. Laughs aside, the series shows that it’s much easier and happier if we lead a simple life than fight it out in the corporate world.

C. My Name is Kim Sam-Soon (내 이름은 김삼순)
Another comedy romance, I was told this is the best TV drama in Korea for 2005 and I can see why. It tells the story of a 30-year old baker, Kim Sam Soon (played by Kim Seon-ah) who is desperate for love. A day dreamer, she did find love in a 27-year old owner of a French restaurant, Hyun Jin-Heon (played by Hyeon Bin). A man with a sad past, Hyeon Bin is a cheeky and immature 'boy-man'. While I don’t think singles in their 30s should be stereotyped as ‘old maids’, the comedy did give me a few good laughs. It inspired me to improve my baking skills and perhaps I will also find my true love. The last part of drama also reminded me again that “In life, don’t look back at the past, don’t worry about the future, just live each day to the fullest.”

I've got another 3 series to watch but I better watch it before I turn into a big fat couch potato!



3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home