happy gal 88

This blog is about all things that make me happy. Why happy gal? Because I strongly believe that life is short and we must treasure every second of it. Why brood and live life unhappily?! I hope every reader finds some happiness on this blog : ) See my Korean blog - Seoul Far Seoul Good - @ http://www.seoulfarseoulgood.blogspot.com/

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Le Grand Voyage

For once I decided to give Korean movies a miss and watch a French movie instead. Entitled Le Grand Voyage, the movie is about a Muslim teenager living in France who was forced to drive his strict father to Mecca for his pilgrimage. Along the 6,000 mile journey, father and son relationship unfolded as they picked up two ‘hitchhikers’. At one point, the son even walked out on the father. As an audience, I first detested the father’s autocratic hand in ruling the family and making decisions for all things. But later, he gained my respect in that while he may not be educated and may not speak other’s language, he was a wise and kind man. The long journey was also an eye-opener for the young teenager’s innocent mind. And I think he grew up quite a bit after the journey… alas, just as he was beginning to know and (I think) love his father more, the latter died. The soulful echoes of his cries brought tears to my eyes. The message is clear – it’s too late to cry when the person is gone. You need show him that you love him while he’s still alive.

In many ways, Le Grand Voyage reminded of my own father, who is at times too autocratic for my liking. He is also a man everyone in the family fears. My situation is of course not as bad. Of all my siblings, I’m the only one who dares to joke with him and call him names. And he is a really sweet man -- making sure that all my clothes are ironed even when he's sick. I remembered once when I was quite sick and he suggested all kinds of incentives just so that I'll get well.


The movie has once again reminded me that I should spend more time with him and make him happy. So that when the day comes, I will not feel sad and regret not doing this and that.

Don’t miss this film. C’est très bon!

P/S: Glad I saw this movie. It was a refresher course for my basic French ; )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home