happy gal 88

This blog is about all things that make me happy. Why happy gal? Because I strongly believe that life is short and we must treasure every second of it. Why brood and live life unhappily?! I hope every reader finds some happiness on this blog : ) See my Korean blog - Seoul Far Seoul Good - @ http://www.seoulfarseoulgood.blogspot.com/

Friday, December 09, 2005

Simple Act of Love

Buddha Statue at Po Lin Monastery, Lantau Island, Hong Kong 2004

Christmas is a time we give thanks and remember those who have helped us in any way during the year. Very often, we thought a gift (which is often what they may not need) is good enough. Well, on one of my recent shopping trips, a little boy touched my heart…

...He was no more than 10 years old. As I boarded the subway, I saw him swinging irritatingly on two bar handles leaving me with nothing to hold on to. Then, someone vacated a seat near where I was standing and I heard the boy shouting to someone in the next carriage, “Ah ma, zhe bian you wei” (Grandma, there’s a seat here!).


Simple words these may be but I was touched. So were the three teenage gals beside me who commented they didn’t expect the seemingly nonchalent boy to take such good care of his granny. Unfortunately, in our hectic city life and schedule, we rarely see such display of affection and filial piety.

Have we made time for our family, especially our aging grannies or parents as we focus on our career, hobbies, nucleus family? Personally, I think I could have done better. My weekly dinners with my parents have not been as regular. Suddenly, I remembered someone I knew who would not answer the mother’s phone calls nor visit her when she was alive. When she died suddenly, I think that someone was quite sad… but it was too late.

I'm reminded that we must remember to treasure those around us when they are still alive. And our parents and grannies are simple people… Just buying their favourite food or titbits will make their day.


In the new year, I must spend more time with my parents, and I hope you will too… for without them, you and I will not exist.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:47 pm, Blogger anime said…

    really touching i say...... dats a nice story to hear.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home