happy gal 88

This blog is about all things that make me happy. Why happy gal? Because I strongly believe that life is short and we must treasure every second of it. Why brood and live life unhappily?! I hope every reader finds some happiness on this blog : ) See my Korean blog - Seoul Far Seoul Good - @ http://www.seoulfarseoulgood.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

JaJang(炸酱)Salad


Last weekend, we had a gathering at a friend’s house. There were four of us, two with spouses and kids. Usually, the host would cook or it would be potluck. Because I didn’t have my own place, it was not that convenient inviting them to my house. So, this time round, I offered to prepare a few Korean dishes for everyone.

This was the menu:
Appetizers/Side dishes:
Kimchi (from Food Republic)
Seasoned Mushroom
Soft Tofu with Spicy Sesame Sauce (pix below)
Simmered Lotus Roots

Main dishes:
Kimchi Soup
Spicy Rice Cake
JaJang Myeon

Drinks:
Cinnamon Ginger Tea

And my own verdict? Not everyone likes Korean food. And the dishes can certainly be improved. The mushroom was a bit overcooked. The spicy rice cake wasn’t spicy at all while the kimchi soup was too spicy. (I've cooked the spicy rice cake, or ddeobuki 4X and it has never failed me before... 섭섭해요) And the jajang sauce was a bit too thick – the dark clumps simply weren’t attractive at all. (Next time, I'll add some mixed veggie bits on top to add some colours to it.)


There was quite a bit of leftover jajang sauce and since I didn’t want to waste it, I brought it home. And came up with Jajang salad instead (pix above). This is just right for me as I don’t really like to take carbo food like noodles or rice. Doesn’t it look a bit like Bibimbap? Maybe I should call it Bibim Salad ; )






3 Comments:

  • At 11:15 pm, Blogger JosLovesFood said…

    Oh... I like Korean Jajang Myeon. Can I have the recipe, pls? keke.

     
  • At 6:37 pm, Blogger Sandy, 샌디 said…

    Hi, Jos,
    안녕하세요
    오랜만이지요?

    I got the recipe from My Korean Kitchen blog at http://mykoreankitchen.com/2006/11/02/korean-black-bean-paste-noodles-jajangmyun-in-korean/

    There are many recipes there and they're quite good. I've tried a few.

    새 해 복 많이 받으세요.

    Sandy ㅎㅎ

     
  • At 12:03 am, Blogger JosLovesFood said…

    내,오랜만이요...
    찰지내나요?
    Recipe 줘서 감사합니다.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home