happy gal 88

This blog is about all things that make me happy. Why happy gal? Because I strongly believe that life is short and we must treasure every second of it. Why brood and live life unhappily?! I hope every reader finds some happiness on this blog : ) See my Korean blog - Seoul Far Seoul Good - @ http://www.seoulfarseoulgood.blogspot.com/

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Mad about Kimchi

More than one year on, my craze for Korean stuff has not abated. In fact, it has become worst. As my friend says, 我中毒很深 (the poison goes deep). I can’t agree more but I’m sure I’m not the only Singaporean with such an ‘illness’. I think the worldwide craze for Korean VCD dramas and so on will make a very interesting behavioural case study for psychologists.

Now I cannot go by a week without eating kimchi or Korean food. This is quite ridiculous given the fact that I’ve never even tasted Korean food before I started watching any K drama. Well, as Korean food is not cheap in Singapore, I’ve started cooking Korean dishes. And I think the best thing and most basic ingredient one needs for any Korean meal has to be kimchi. You can eat it as it is, or cook kimchi soup, kimchi ramyeon, fried kimchi with beancurd etc etc.

So, I went in search of kimchi. In the past, I usually buy packaged kimchi (see pix above) but these are usually quite sour as they would have aged quite a bit. Now, whenever I go to a Korean restaurant, I’ll ask if they sell kimchi and how much. This is where you can find good kimchi if you’re a kimchi fan like me:

1. Restaurants – Jushinjung @ Pasir Panjang; Hyang To Gol @ Amara Hotel; New Seoul @ Tanjong Pagar; Auntie Kim’s @ Upper Thomson The price can range from $13 to $25 a kilo; and $5.50 to $13 for a box. I like Hyang To Gol’s best.
2. Food courts – Most places sell them for $3 for a box. So far, I think the best buy is from the Korean eatery at Food Republic, located at 5th level of Wisma Atria. It only cost $6 for a box which I think is definitely more than 500gm. And the quality is quite good too.
3. Selected Cold Storage and Korean supermarkets – $3.80 to $4.20 for a 200gm pack.
4. Isetan Supermarket @ Scotts – freshly made kimchi flown in from Korea - $3.20 per 100g – I bought the radish kimchi but didn’t quite like it as it was a bit bitter. It could be due to the type of radish used.

Unfortunately, most places only sell the common cabbage kimchi. If you want cucumber or radish kimchi, you’ll have to try Isetan Supermarket or buy the packaged ones which come in 500g or 1 kg pack with cost ranging from $10 to $18 depending on the variety chosen.

Look out for the next posting on Mad about Korean Food where I’ll list and rate the Korean restaurants I’ve visited in the past year ; )

6 Comments:

  • At 11:07 pm, Blogger Happy Homebaker said…

    I had this kimichi fried rice at Bugis Junction's foodcourt this afternoon. It's rather tasty and spicy. I was trying to recall which place you mentioned that sells good kimichi...and now here's your post on it! Will sure get a pack if I go wisma...want to try cook this dish. My husband said just fry rice with kimichi...but I doubt it's so simple?! will need to do a study on this :)

    Can u also do a food review on the korean stalls in foodcourts? can't afford to go restaurants so often now :(

    so far I have tried bibimba and grilled fish from korean foodcourt stalls in Bugis Junction, Parkway Parade, Sim Lim Square & United square.

     
  • At 1:35 pm, Blogger Sandy, 샌디 said…

    Hi, Happy Homebaker,

    My initial plan was to do a review of Korean food at food courts but I soon realised that I seem to be trying more Korean restaurants than food courts, so...

    This will definitely be a fun project to embark on. But since you've tried out so many food courts, you can do the review instead ; )

     
  • At 6:24 pm, Blogger Happy Homebaker said…

    I can't make any korean food review lah...I have only tried bibimbap and grilled saba. The bibimbap at Parkway Parade's foodcourt is the best among the lot I have tried. I will also rate the grilled saba set at Sim Lim Sqaure best...used to have lunch there when I go fetch my boys from their kindergarten.

     
  • At 11:12 pm, Blogger JosLovesFood said…

    Hi Sandy & Happy Homebaker, you can also get kimchi at Sol Mart at cineleisure. They sell various types of kimchi :)

    As for Korean food, I like the ones from Meridien Hotel Food court and United Square. :) I will definitely check out Parkway Parade and Sim Lim Square. Thanks for the info!

     
  • At 2:06 pm, Blogger moon neysa said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 2:13 pm, Blogger moon neysa said…

    Hi,

    I am also a fan of Korean Food. And I know I am a little 3 years late at commenting.

    Here's just my 2 cents. I think it is pretty much more economical to make kimchi by yourself (if you eat kimchi often). It is really to make. There's a youtube account 'aeriskitchen', go look up for her. Her tutorials on making korean food (and kimchi of course) is jjang! What's more, you can also adjust the amount of each ingredient used to your personal perference.

    :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home