happy gal 88

This blog is about all things that make me happy. Why happy gal? Because I strongly believe that life is short and we must treasure every second of it. Why brood and live life unhappily?! I hope every reader finds some happiness on this blog : ) See my Korean blog - Seoul Far Seoul Good - @ http://www.seoulfarseoulgood.blogspot.com/

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Mad About Salad


Two years ago, I chanced upon Carol Vorderman’s Detox For Life cookbook and it was unlike other detox recipe where all you eat or should I say drink is water, juices and nothing else.

While meat is not recommended, there are some recipes with fish which you can eat for maintenance. And that’s when I started falling in love with salads. Since I’m perpetually trying to lose weight to no avail, and ‘cos of health reason, I usually don’t put any meat in my salad.

There are two types of salads that I particularly like – grilled and raw salad.

1. Grilled/roasted salad – you can use mushroom (button or portebello) eggplant, zucchini, capsicum, beetroot, sweet potato, potato (though not encouraged in a detox diet). Cut the veggie and put them into an oven proof dish, and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle some dried herbs (I usually use basil, rosemary or oregano) and add a dash of ground black pepper and salt to taste. Put them in a preheated over (200 – 220 degree C) and roast for 30 min for softer veggie like zucchini and 60 min for roots such as beetroot and potato.

2. Cut raw salad – This is really easy to make. Simply cube half a Japanese cucumber, small carrot, one stick of celery and an apple. (I like my salad to be colourful so if there’s no carrot, I’ll use red or yellow capsicum instead.) Put the cubed food on a bed of Romaine lettuce or baby spinach leaves. Sprinkle cinnamon and squeeze 2 limes into salad. Mix well and top up with nuts or mixed dried beans, and dried fruits such as raisins, dried figs or apricots and voila! A super healthy salad. Sometimes, I add two tablespoons of unflavoured low fat yogurt if I need the extra carbo. Or I mix my own salad dressing – Juice from two limes, 2 tablespoons of low fat milk, 1 teaspoon of honey mustard, some pepper and salt, mix well and pour onto salad.

My latest love is wasabi coleslaw (pix above). Finely shred two purple cabbage leaves, 1cm thick of green radish, 1/3 carrot, half an apple or shinjo pear. As the dressing goes well with seafood, sometimes I’ll add shredded crab sticks (or you can add steamed prawns if you like). And as usual, I’ll add my favourite dried fruits of raisins and wolfberries as well as some toasted black sesame. For the dressing, mix 2-3 tablespoons of lime or lemon juice and half teaspoon of honey with one teaspoon each of mayonnaise and wasabi paste (I used Japanese mayo and S&W wasabi paste sold in supermarkets and some Japanese restaurants). Add to salad and mix well.

If you like salad, there are really lots of variety and options that you can try. And some vegetables can help people with health problems. For example, celery is wonderful for people with high blood. Fennel and asparagus are great for those with water retention. But people with gastric and flatulence should avoid too much raw food, especially cabbage and certain root vegetables which may aggravate the problem. Whatever it is, consult a doctor if you are unsure and never never stop any medication without doctor’s approval.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home